FY2020 Scholarship Application
The University of Houston Staff Council and the Women and Gender Resource Center are dedicated to providing opportunities for staff members to advance their education. In an effort to simplify the application process and to promote a wider distribution of the available scholarships, Staff Council and the Women and Gender Resource Center are pleased to announce that we have combined the applications. By completing one application, you will have applied for both scholarships. The Women and Gender Resource Center provides five $1000.00 scholarships and the Staff Council provides ten $1000.00 scholarships to employees who plan to attend degree or job related academic credit classes during the fall, spring or summer semesters at the University of Houston.
To be considered for these two gender-neutral Scholarships, the staff member:
- Must be employed in a benefits-eligible position on the University of Houston campus for at least one year as of March 1, 2019.
- Must have completed 6 hours of undergraduate or graduate credits for evaluation.
- Must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher.
- Must demonstrate strong commitment to academic excellence and potential to succeed.
A Staff Council/Women and Gender Resource Center committee ranks the applications in a blind review process and selects the top fifteen applicants to receive scholarships proportional to the number of applicants at each degree level (undergraduate or graduate).
- Awards are credited to the recipients’ UH academic account when proof of registration is received.
- Awards are credited to an academic course (not audit or continuing education) for UH credit during FY’20 (Fall ’19, Spring ’20, or Summer ’20).
- Award recipients are invited and asked to attend the President's Awards Luncheon at a date to be announced.
- Awards apply to that year and cannot be moved forward. Any recipient who cannot utilize the scholarship within the year should notify the UH Staff Council Scholarship Committee or the Women and Gender Resource Center. Recipients must still be employed by the University on the first day of class of the semester in which they take the class.
- A previous recipient may re-apply annually for these Scholarships. Recipient may receive only one scholarship each year.
Each applicant shall submit an application packet containing the following information by Monday, May 27, 2019. (Incomplete packets will not be reviewed).
- Completed application.
- All college transcripts. The transcripts don’t have to be official copies, but they must be legible.
- Typed essay (maximum one page, double-spaced, 12 point font, no exception) explaining career goals (professional objectives) and personal statement (why you believe you should receive this scholarship).
- Your resume. The resume should include awards, honors, achievements, work experience and activities.
- Two letters of recommendation. Letters should be as specific as possible.
There are two methods to submit the application packet. The deadline for either method is 5:00 p.m., Monday, May 27, 2019.
- Complete and submit the online application form below and send all other documents listed above to email@example.com in MS Word or PDF format; or
- Download and complete the scholarship application and send all documents in the application packet to: Scholarship Committee, Attn: Brisa Gossett.
If you have any questions, please contact Amber Pozo, firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 713-743-3805.