FY2019 Scholarship Application
Inspired by B. Renae Milton, a University of Houston (UH) alumna, long-term staff member, and former Staff Council Program Manager, who supported family-friendly policies and put three sons through college. This initiative will provide scholarship assistance to UH students who are dependents of a UH staff member. The Staff Council awards a $500.00 scholarship to a recipient who attends the UH.
To be considered for the Students of Staff Scholarship:
The Staff member:
- Must be employed in a full-time, benefits-eligible position at the UH for at least one year as of March 1, 2018.
- Must demonstrate a strong commitment to staff excellence and service to the University.
The Student candidate:
- Must be a dependent of
a UHstaff member.
- Must be a full-time,
degree seekingstudent in good academic standing at the UH.
- Must demonstrate a strong commitment to academic excellence and potential to succeed and contribution to the university and/or surrounding community.
Each applicant shall submit an application packet containing the following information by Friday, May 4, 2018. (Incomplete packets will not be reviewed).
- Completed application.
- All college transcripts of the student. The transcripts need not be official copies, but they must be legible.
- Typed essay (maximum one page, double-spaced, 12 point font, no exception) explaining academic goals and a personal statement regarding why you believe you should receive this scholarship. The essay should include information about the staff member's contribution to the university and applicant's contribution to the university and/or surrounding community.
- Two letters of recommendation (from teacher, manager, community leader, etc.). Letters should be as specific as possible.
There are two methods to submit the application packet. The deadline for either method is 5:00 p.m., Friday, May 4, 2018.
- Complete and submit the online application form below together with supporting documents to email@example.com in MS Word or PDF format; or
- Download and complete the scholarship application. Mail completed application together with supporting documents
to:Scholarship Committee, Attn: La’Tandra Semiens.
If you have any questions, please contact Jacqueline Chee, firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 713-743-8725.
SELECTION & DISTRIBUTION PROCESS:
- The scholarship is credited to the recipients’ UH academic account when proof of registration is received.
- The scholarship is credited to an academic course for UH credit during FY19 (Fall ’18, Spring ’19 or Summer ’19).
- Scholarship recipients and the UH staff member are invited and asked to attend the President's Awards Luncheon (date to be determined).
- The scholarship can only be applied during the academic year for which it is awarded.
- Any recipient who cannot utilize the scholarship should notify the UH Staff Council Scholarship Committee.
Staffmember of recipientmust still be employed by the University on the first day of class in the semester in which the scholarship is to be awarded.