The deadline to submit a defended thesis or dissertation varies each semester. Consult the NSM website for the upcoming deadline.
A thesis or dissertation committee form needs to be on file one semester before the MS thesis defense and one semester before before the Ph.D. preliminary defense.
All defenses are open to the general public and need to be publicly announced at least 14 days (2 weeks) before the event. To create a public announcement, please complete the online thesis defense annoucement form. Before you submit the annoucement, confirm that you have the room reserved. Do not submit an annoucement if a room has not been reserved.
- Procedures on Electronic Submission of Theses and Dissertations
- Thesis and Dissertation Formatting Instructions
- List of items checked by the NSM reader
- Thesis/Dissertation Workshop slides
**NEW Effective Fall 2019** Make sure to use the Thesis/Dissertation Approval Form (from the Graduate School) to collect the signatures from your committee members. This form will need to be given to the NSM office of Academic Affairs when you submit your Thesis or Dissertation. Note that the following types of signatures will be allowed: actual signature, Adobe signature within Acrobat, electronic signature.
**NEW Effective Fall 2019** Make sure to follow the template from the Graduate School to format and organize the front matter of your Thesis or Dissertation.
For those of you using Latex, you can use this Latex style file to format your thesis/dissertation according to the Graduate School requirements for the front matter. The Latex style file also contains some formatting of the main text, but make sure to additionally follow the NSM instructions given in the PDF above.
Here is some additional useful information for Latex users:
- Using the Overleaf (online Latex build and editing system) is recommended. It is free for individual use and works well once the style file is uploaded as part of a project.
- The style file itself has all the examples and documentation on how to customize/use the included features and directives.
- Some minor modifications might still be required to fine tune the way images and tables to be rendered and according to guidelines. This cannot be included in the style file and the author will have to format that as part of writing the latex document.
Students are expected to submit the thesis or dissertation document to committee members at least two weeks before the anticipated defense. MS and PhD students who are prepared to submit their thesis or dissertation for review for final approval should submit a copy to the NSM Office of Academic Affairs (SR1, room 202) between the hours of 8am-5pm, Monday through Friday. The submission also has to include an original signature page containing signatures of all committee members. In case of questions, contact Sharonda Glass at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submitting Electronic Theses and Dissertations with Pre-published Content to Vireo
- Publisher Policies on Pre-Published Content
- Sample request for permission (WORD)
NSM theses and dissertations should be embargoed for 2 years, unless no embargo is requested by your professor. Even during the embargo, the title, author and abstract of the thesis/dissertation are released to the public. If you wish for this information not to be made public during the embargo, you need to request a full record hold by filling out the Embargo Exception Request form and submitting it to the UH Graduate School. This form can also be used to request a first embargo extension of 2 years, or additional 1-year extensions of the embargo.