Welcome to the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics at the University of Houston. This is an exciting time of renewal and development within the College. Of the 14 academic colleges, NSM leads the University in research expenditures, is second in student enrollment and is integral to the University's past successes and future directions.
All indicators of success are on the rise – undergraduate enrollment and achievement, graduate education and research, faculty success in garnering sponsored research, and national recognition of NSM excellence through awards to our students and faculty. Our highest priority is to prepare the next generation of scientists to solve global health, energy and environmental challenges while providing the training our students need to compete and excel in the workforce.
We are revitalizing and building upon the College’s strategic plan, which will ensure that the College remains on the path to:
- Grow annual research awards in excess of $45M dollars per annum by 2023.
- Increase faculty to 230.
- Develop a larger and stronger graduate program by increasing the Ph.D. program to 600 students while further increasing the quality of our undergraduate education program.
- Build strong research teams in health, bioscience and energy while ensuring a strong academic core.
- Grow $10 million in scholarship endowments for general scholarships, teachHOUSTON and the Scholar Enrichment Program.
- Develop strong research core facilities by
- Attracting large equipment grants to acquire state-of-the-art research instrumentation
- Training students in instrument usage and interpretation
- Assisting faculty in exploring new directions and methodologies
- Bringing scientific groups together with common interests but diverse experience
In recent years, NSM has emerged as a leading health care and energy research institution. We are building strong health care collaborations and partnerships with the Texas Medical Center as well as bridging our research expertise into the energy sector in Houston. These collaborations, naturally extending across the globe, are creating tremendous research opportunities and attention.
If you are an alumnus, a prospective donor or a member of the business community seeking to make a difference, we encourage you to contact the College’s Development Office to explore how you can help us reach our destination.
Dan E. Wells, Ph.D.