When setting your new password, University Information Technology (UIT) recommends using strong passwords as shown below in the UH Strong Password Standard.
The following topics are covered on this page:
About Strong Passwords
UH has a strong password standard to protect the university's systems, data and network. UH's password security recommendations are commensurate with the importance of the protected information and data.
Strong Password Standard
- Minimum Password Length: 8 characters
- Expire passwords every 180 days and prevent their reuse for a year
- Passwords must contain at least one character from each of the following classes"
- Alphabetic: Upper or lower case (a-z, A-Z)
- Numeric: 0-9
- Special Characters: ! # % & ( ) * @ ^
- Lockout: After 5 consecutive failed login attempts an account will be locked for 5 minutes.
The purpose of a computer account password is to grant access to the account owner and restrict it from others. As a security measure, computer account passwords expire on a regular basis and must be changed. It is the responsibility of the account owner to make the password something that is easy to remember but difficult for someone else to guess. UIT recommends you change your passwords every month.
Lost or forgotten passwords can be reset online by the owner of the account at www.uh.edu/password. For further assistance, contact the IT Support Center at 713-743-1411 or Live Chat.
For More Information
Fax Us: 713-743-1410
Email Us: email@example.com
Mail Code: TSS 2002